Hahaha.. I can’t believe that I am on my fourth post called “The first appointment”. But yes, that’s exactly what happened yesterday: I had my first appointment at the Wessex Fertility Clinic in Southampton.
Our appointment was at 9am, but we got there super early, as we had been warned that parking can be a bit of an issue. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was definitely expecting a much bigger place! The Wessex Fertility at the Freya Centre is tiny! Compared to the Hampshire Clinic in Basingstoke, which is massive.
So, yes. Good thing that we got there early as the Clinic only has 4 allocated car park spaces and the rest would be parking on the road, which I am not a massive fan of.
We met with the consultant, Dr Sue Ingamells, who explained the whole process again to us but a bit more in detail, with graphics and all (which, by the way, were in Spanish! – that made me smile). We also went through quite a lot of papework and were given some more to take home to look at and return.
The positives of the visit:
– Jon’s sperm count is awesome. The consultant was quite impressed with the results, saying that the quality is optimal and way above average.
– My weight and body mass index are actually very good for “hosting” a baby. Mustn’t lose or gain any weight, though.
– I had an internal scan and the consultant said that everything looked pretty normal.
– All our STD results came back clean (not that I had any doubts..)
The negatives of the visit:
– Apparently my egg reserve is quite low. This could mean that in the future I may get an early menopause.
– We were told about some of the side effects of the meds that I will be taking, and I am not looking forward to that.
I now have to contact Gillian Daws at the Hampshire clinic again to have the training on the injections and start getting them! That’s going to be interesting, at the very least… :S
It seems that everything may be happening very soon and I am getting more and more nervous! Maybe as soon as one month’s time!